Our diets are more diverse than ever, and thankfully, products and recipes for various diets are easy to find. Whether you eat vegan or keto, gluten-free or paleo, or you like to incorporate aspects of several different eating styles, these product recommendations, recipes and tips will inspire you to get into the kitchen this Thanksgiving and whip up a feast that’s both delicious and tailored to you and your family’s dietary needs!
No need to reinvent the wheel – simply sub in plant-based alternatives for the dairy in your favorite recipes. Find these non-dairy ingredients at your local store:
- Not just for coffee, Nutpods Original Unsweetened Dairy-Free Almond & Coconut Creamer can stand in for regular cream in any recipe, savory or sweet, from mashed potatoes to pumpkin pie.
- Butter is a mainstay in holiday cooking and baking, and with so many non-dairy options, you don’t have to miss out on “buttering” up those homemade rolls. Keep it classic with Simple Truth Organic™ Dairy Free Salted Butter or go fancy with Miyoko's Organic European Style Cultured Vegan Butter.
- Made with beans (yes, beans!) and oats, Simple Truth Organic™ Gluten Free Non-Dairy Sour Cream is a nutritious and creamy substitute for any and all of your special holiday recipes, whether it is dolloping onto baked potatoes or mixing into a casserole!
- Don’t forget the whipped cream! SO Delicious Dairy Free Cocowhip Coconut Whipped Topping has all your pie topping and straight-from-the-can (well, container) needs covered!
- Looking for new recipes this year? Check out this curated list of delicious Vegan recipes.
Following a gluten-free diet is easier than ever with certified gluten-free products and substitution hacks. Going gluten-free can be quite the eye opener, as gluten is present in many holiday recipes. But you don’t have to miss out on the fun -- try these easy gluten-free swaps for your feast instead:
- Whatever your pie menu – classic pumpkin, pecan or apple – Wholly Gluten Free Pie Shells ensure you don’t have to give up the sweet (typically wheat-based) treats.
- It’s not Turkey Day without the stuffing! Three Bakers Herb Seasoned Gluten Free Stuffing serves up a gluten-free alternative to this classic side dish.
- Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without the rolls – thankfully Ener-G Tapioca Dinner Rolls can help you keep the tradition alive while keeping gluten off your plate!
- While meat, fruit, vegetables and dairy are naturally gluten-free, read ingredient lists for any wheat, barley, rye or their derivatives in ready-made products and seasonings.
- Going grain free or prefer to avoid wheat alternatives altogether? See the Paleo section below for both gluten- and grain-free Thanksgiving fare.
A Paleo approach is one that combines dairy-free, grain-free, sugar-free and legume-free eating, which at times can be tricky to navigate, especially during the holiday season.
Luckily, there are alternatives to just about everything these days – consider using the previously mentioned Nutpods as an alternative for cream and milk and subbing in paleo “flours” like almond flour and coconut flour in your Thanksgiving cooking and baking. Also stock up on dates and other dried fruits to add a touch of natural sweetness.
Keto eaters have the turkey and vegetable sides covered, but what about keto alternatives to classically carb-heavy Thanksgiving dishes?
It’s never too early to start planning for the holidays and doing some test runs on new recipes. Let us help you get ahead this holiday season with recipes, online ordering and even delivery!
Explore more tips and ideas in our Healthy Living Inspiration Hub.